Facts about bald eagles that you may not already know:
- We all know the bald eagle is not bald, so how did it get its name? A Old English word, balde, means white. A bald eagle is named for the white feathers on its head.
- The bald eagle lives only in North America, and the majority of the population is in Florida.
- These raptors can swim! They make overhand movements with their wings. It looks like the butterfly stroke.
- They are monogamous and stay with one mate for life.
- Read about how the bald eagle became our National Emblem: The Bald Eagle, Its Journey as the National Emblem of the United States