November 11, 2009

My New Favorite May Soon Be Yours, Too!



 
(photo by Elena Elisseeva,  Dreamstime.com)
Today I have off from work because of an appointment.  Since I didn't have the usual breathless rush to get to work on time, I decided to try a new recipe for breakfast, Cranberry Doughnuts.

I like cranberries anyway, but I am sure you will like this recipe even if you aren't a cranberry person.  I made a few mistakes that have nothing to do with the recipe.  For instance, I burned my finger by getting it too close to the hot fat (I do know better!).  And the first few doughnuts weren't done in the center because I was impatient and took them out too soon.  But other than that, my breakfast was a big hit, and this recipe is definitely a keeper!

I got it out of the October/November/95 Country magazine. It was submitted by Roberta Archer, Passadumkeag, Maine.  Thanks, Roberta, for sharing!  I can see why it was a winner.  It's easy, too.

Cranberry Doughnuts
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
Oil for deep-fat frying
Additional sugar

Directions:  In a bowl, beat egg; add sugar and butter.  Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with milk.  Stir in cranberries.

Heat oil in an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer to 375 degrees.  Drop tablespoonfuls of batter into oil.  Fry doughnuts a few at a time, turning with a slotted spoon until golden, about 2 minutes per side.

Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar while still warm. (I rolled some in granulated sugar, and some in confectioner sugar).  Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.  These won't last long, better make two batches!




No comments:

Post a Comment